Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pumpkin. Spiced. Pudding.



Hi all,

I'm posting a recipe I made this week because I was craving pumpkin.
Pumpkin is my favorite. Along with sweet potatoes and carrots soaked in orange juice... is it obvious that I *love* orange foods?
Anyway, this week I made a reasonably healthy pumpkin pudding for a cool summer snack.




I may not look pretty, but I'm everything that is good about a pumpkin spiced latte.

Please, try not to cringe at my food photography. This pudding is delicious and surprisingly filling, but it's not pretty. I mean...it's an orange pudding! 
(I also don't have ramekins to put them in, hence the cheap plastic cups. Grad school problems, guys.)

This recipe came from one of the two recipe books my mother gave me for graduation from undergraduate. She made them in supercool Smash Journals, putting family recipes in one and recipes she knows I'll love in the other. 
My mom has an amazing blog, and is obviously incredible at crafting, but I can't name her here because it would give away my real name. Sammie Stone is a pen name. :)


Here's a picture of the page this recipe is on:


Isn't it adorable?! Best recipe book ever.

In case you can't read the recipe from the picture:

Ingredients--
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 t ground cinnamon*
1/2 t ground ginger*
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t ground cardamon
2 cups skim milk
2/3 cups orange juice
whipped topping

* I used 1 1/2t of pumpkin pie spices in lieu of all these, simply because I don't have all of those spices on hand separately.

Instructions--
Beat pumpkin and eggs in a large, heavy saucepan.
Combine cornstarch, brown sugar and the spices in a separate, medium-sized bowl before stirring into the pumpkin mixture. 
Add in the orange juice and the milk.
Cook on medium heat, whisking continuously until the pudding is very thick, about ten minutes.
Reduce the heat and give the pudding a few extra whisks to get rid of any lumps.
Divide evenly among eight ramekins (or plastic cups!) and cover with plastic wrap. 
Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Add whipped cream before serving!






Try this recipe! And share yours with me. :)


XO,
Sammie Stone




3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I know some people will enjoy in my house and yes, your Mom is very talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'll have to make sure she sees this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm counting the days when Pumpkin Spice Latte returns to Starbucks, and in the meantime, we can enjoy some cool and delicious pumpkin pudding!

    ReplyDelete